Friday, November 16, 2007

Best color year for Serviceberries

I read an article touting the virtues of Service berries (these are probably Amelanchier canadensis, Shadblow) as a small tree that had 3 season interest - flowers in spring, red fruit turning to black in early summer and bright fall colors. Our trees had the first two traits but the last was fugitive until this year. The colors have been a dark orange brown for the past 5 years but for some reason this year the colors are quite fabulous. I wonder if it had anything to do with the trees not producing any fruit whatsoever this year?





2 comments:

DeeMom said...

This is yet another tree I want to plant here on the farm. We transplanted two many years ago and it just did not work...

Ki said...

Hi Deemom,
Serviceberries seem to be tough little trees, I wonder why yours didn't make it? Three of our trees are continually putting out suckers so I dug as far back to the main tree trunk as I could and dug up as much of the rooting part of the suckers as I could and stuck it in some moist perlite after sticking the rooting end in some hormone growth powder. Several of the suckers rooted and I have about 5 new trees from the suckers. Two of them are almost as tall as the parent tree after 3 years of growth. I hope you have some better luck with your next purchase of seviceberries.